Sermon by Mike Smith
The Bible does offer financial guidance.
- Transcript Header:
- Money Myths
- Transcript Body:
- 1. Introduction: • Our problem in the U.S.A. is not just greed, it’s ignorance. • Those who WE have elected to office have made bad decisions for a number of reasons. The biggest problem is they have forgotten about God’s wisdom. • God’s wisdom is here for the benefit of all!
- 2. Introduction: • Will Christians ever solve all the world’s problems? • But, when as a majority we listen to God we are blessed beyond measure! History? • Let us unlock the Truth and Restore Financial Peace in our life. Be the good stewards of the many blessings God showers on us and help others learn to do the same.
- 3. always look out for Number One • If Jesus had done this, then this world would be in an extremely terrible crisis. Luke 9:54-56; Philippians 2:2-8 • Jesus was mindful not just for Himself but died to self so others could be saved from many “lacks”. Lk. 9:23-26; 2 Cor. 8:9, 12-15 • God teaches us to do the opposite of this myth. It’s not just keep for yourself. It’s the more you give the more you’ll be blessed! 2 Cor. 9:5-11; Acts 20:35 Proverbs 11:18
- 4. • We’re to trust in God not riches! 1 Tim. 6:9-10, 17-19 • Wealth is not security. Prov. 23:5 • It does the opposite. Prov. 1:19 • Our allegiance should not be to money but to God! Matthew 6:24 • Let’s put our trust back in the One True God and put money in its proper place. Job 31:24-25, 28; Prov. 3:5-10
- 5. • Workaholics anonymous key Bible verse. • Jesus said without Him we can do nothing! Jn. 15:5; Acts 17:25, 28 • Our transformed (Rom. 12:2) mindset says in James 4:13-16… • We can have all our needs IF we seek God and His kingdom first! Mt. 6:33 • If it’s to be, I must follow God, how much blessing is up to Him! Ps. 37:23-26
- 6. • Don’t believe the J.G. Wentworth commercial!!! 1 Chron. 29:11-16 • Just like its my body!? 1 Cor. 6:19-20 • Truth is it’s God’s ownership Eccl. 5:18-19 • How is your stewardship of what God has given you? 1 Cor. 4:2 – Do you give God the glory? 1 Cor. 10:31 – He has given us all things! 1 Cor.3:20-23 – Beware of the seeds of deception. Mark 4:19
- 7. • Most people don’t like the “greater responsibility” that comes with it. Lk.12:48 • Punishment is not joyous. Prov. 28:20 • Truth is – there is real joy in being content with what we have. 1 Tim. 6:6-8; Heb. 13:5 • No real joy in not being satisfied with what God gives us. Nor in the insatiable appetite that greed incurs. • God gives us exactly what we need, & what we can handle, to serve Him the way He wants! Jer. 17:10
- 8. • Who is the servant, you or the money? • What delivers us? Prov. 11:4-6 – Being righteous, not riches • The problem lies in the heart: What’s your attitude, approach, and motivation for gaining wealth . – Leads to improper use of possessions. • Must cleanse our hearts of the idolatry of covetousness. Col. 3:5; 2 Pet.2:14, 19 Then, properly manage what God gives.
- 9. • Again this Myth is opposite of the Truth! Luke 12:15 • True Worth lies in God’s eyes, all created in His likeness. James 2:1-9; 3:9; Gen. 9:6 • He loves us all the same. John 3:16 – How will you value yourself? Eph. 5:29 – Now, how will you value others? Jas. 2:8 • Train our hearts to God’s wisdom. Proverbs 30:8-9
- 10. • As responsible people we will seek to get out of and stay out of financial debt. • We must constantly examine and adjust our financial plans to a proper living faith in God. • In order to serve God as faithful stewards we will: – Excel with the talents and abilities God gave us Matthew 25:15-ff
- 11. • In order to serve God as faithful stewards we will: – Be industrious and seek ways to work effectively with our skill set. Prov. 6:6-8; 14:23 – Trust God to always give us what we need even when we can’t see how we could possibly make it. Heb. 11:1; Phil. 4:13, 19 – Keep Him first even in financial decisions. Phil. 2:21; Mt. 6:33
- 12. • In order to serve God as faithful stewards we will: – Provide for the needs of others. Prov. 21:26b; Eph. 4:28 – Support the work of the church 2 Cor. 8:1-8; 9:6-9 – Glorify God in our hearts by our faithful actions. 1 Timothy 6:17-19; 2 Cor. 9:12-14 • Successful stewardship is using what you have to do the most good you can. Col. 3:23-25
- 13. The Best Riches • The Best Riches Are Found in Christ! Luke 16:11; Eph. 1:3, 7, 18; 2:7; 3:8 • Then, how do we get into Christ? – Hear and learn God’s Word John 6:45 – Faith in Him John 8:24 – Repentance of sin Acts 3:19; 2 Cor. 5:15 live for Him – Confessing your belief in Christ as God’s son Acts 8:37 – Be Baptized into Christ Galatians 3:27; Acts 22:16View More